PROFESSIONAL LAW COURSE
To qualify for admission to the Ghana School of Law for the Professional Law Course, applicants must be successful in the Entrance Examination. The categories of applicants listed below are eligible to write the Entrance Examination:
- ALL LLB graduates from the Faculties of Law of Public Universities in Ghana, including KNUST, Kumasi; University of Ghana(Legon) and GIMPA approved by the National Accreditation Board (NAB) and the General Legal Council (GLC).
- ALL LLB graduates from the Faculties of Law of Private University Colleges in Ghana approved by the NAB and GLC.
- ALL Ghanaian LLB graduates or holders of equivalent law degrees from Universities in the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States of America, and other common law jurisdictions who have obtained passes in all the prescribed subjects/courses for admission to the Professional Law Course.
- For the avoidance of doubt, applicants from overseas/foreign Universities who possess LLB certificates or certificates for equivalent law degrees shall be eligible to write the Entrance Examination if such applicants have passed the subjects below at the LLB or equivalent level:
- Ghana Constitutional Law
- Ghana Legal System and Methods
- Criminal Law
- Law of Equity and Succession
- Law of Torts
- Law of Contract
- Law of Immovable Property
- Company Law
- Commercial Law
In addition to the nine (9) subjects listed above, applicants must have studied and passed any one of the following subjects:
- Law of Natural Resources
- Environmental Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Law of Taxation
Applicants who are admitted to undertake the Professional Law Course are enrolled as Barristers at Law and Solicitors of the Supreme Court upon their successful completion of the Course.
POST-CALL LAW COURSE FOR LAWYERS FROM OTHER COMMON LAW JURISDICTIONS.
The Course is intended for:
a. Citizens of Ghana qualified to practice law in common law jurisdictions with legal systems sufficiently analogous to that of Ghana.
b. Non-citizens of Ghana may be considered for admission to the Ghana School of Law if they are qualified and licensed to practice law in countries with a system of law sufficiently analogous to that of Ghana and has a reciprocal arrangement with Ghana.
3. All applicants must have obtained their LPC / BL/ BVC / BPTC final transcripts and Practice Certificates at the time of their application.
4. LLB Subjects studied should include but not be limited to the following:
1. Law of Contract
2. Law of Torts
3. Criminal Law
4. Law of Immovable Property
5. Equity and Succession
6. Company Law
7. Commercial Law
8. Any of the following subjects:
(a) Natural Resources Law
(b) Law of Taxation
(c) Intellectual Property Law
(d) Environmental Law; and
(e) Labour Law
*Course titles/names may differ in different jurisdictions.